Re: [MV] SECTION 803

From: Jay (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 09:18:28 PST

Yeah, I do. And I also remember that it was manipulated in the media
and continued to grow as long as our side was able to be portrayed as
being the "irrational gun nuts". We started making headway against them
only after folks like Rosie, and the MOM leaders got out there and made
complete asses of themselves in front of the masses by wildly
over-reacting to every single thing that ever had to do with a gun. At
that point, enough of the fence-sitters who unfortunantly DO make up the
majority of voters in this country decided that the anti-gun crowd was
over-reacting, and the tide started to turn in our favor as gun owners.

And this fight isn't anything "new", this crap started back with Ralph
"Insane at any speed" Nader back in the sixties and was what killed the
early musclecars in the 70s. Remember the 55 MPH speed limit? Same
folks gave us that one, and that was the rope that they hung themselves
with. Enough people got to see them for being irrational that they lost
support with the majority of the people out there (Gore and his crown
being notable exceptions). This whole scheme frankly reminds me of the
"gun buy-back" scams in the inner city projects- offensive to ones
beliefs, but the only REAL effect it had was that the drug dealers and
gang-bangers could go sell to the cops their broken Raven .25 auto that
they had probably used to shoot someone with earlier, and that they paid
$25 for on the street, for $50 or more and then use THAT money to go buy
a bigger, better gun to shoot at the same cops with next week. Can you
show me a concrete example of where one of those programs did anything
BUT that?

And that's my point. Let the liberals waste their time and their
resources giving their followers the ILLUSION of serving their agenda,
and save our fight (and our public credibility) for where it counts.
 But as far as this bill is concerned, I still see it as baiting people
like us to oppose this now, so that when they come out with the one that
really does what you are talking about and we complain about it too,
then they can point back at this one and say "See? You opposed that too,
and it didn't cause any harm. You're just over-reacting." And the
reality is that enough of the sheeple will buy that from them, IF we
bite on this one in the way you are describing.

Remember, THAT'S how gun control got as far as it did.

Jay Travis