Re: [MV] SECTION 803

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 09:15:09 PST

>But about a new car? (I paid out over 10k in taxes this past year) How much
>is a new chevy?

Too much! I always buy used cars and trucks. I got a mint 1997 pickup
in 2000 for about 40% less than a new one. Assuming it is not insured,
if I totally wrecked it in 2 years I could buy another 3 year old vehicle
and STILL have paid less than buying one new one.

This is a Capitalist country, so you can bet that if the price paid by
the government for a 15 year old vehicle is less than what a used car
dealer or direct resale will yeild, people will not give their cars to
the Government for destruction. Plus, I don't think I've seen 15+ used
cars in many of the used car lots around me. After about 10 years they
are all worth about the same in any case. Therefore, I am not worried
about there being a steady and abundant supply of used vehicles to choose
from even if this legislation goes through.

Steve