The other side of the story

From: Ed Kirkley (mojoedd@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 09:51:58 PST

  Steve and list,

I suggest that you read these verifiable items before you start yelling
"Republican coddling". Clinton and his boys were into Enron WAY before Bush
and his were. Typical to blame something on the Republicans when it was in
fact the Democrats that started the entire thing and as normal left someone
else to take the blame and sort out the mess. This is a great letter BTW
and I intend to send it to all of my Congressmen and Reps. I would hope
that members of the list will follow suit.

Best Regards

Ed Kirkley KG4OUJ
1984 M1009
M103 Trailer

Subject: Another Side of the Story

The media is having a great time trying to pin "Enrongate" onto the
Bush Administration. There's another interesting side to the story.

>From Robert Theodore Knalur
P.O. Box 10083
Detroit, MI 48501
January 14, 2002

To Senator Joseph Leiberman
706 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

RE: Enron Investigation

Dear Senator Leiberman,

I watched your Sunday morning appearance on Face the Nation with
intense interest. Inasmuch as I own a fair amount of Enron stock in my
SEP/IRA, I'm sure you can understand my curiosity relative to your
investigation.

Knowing you to be an honorable man, I feel secure that you will
diligently pursue the below listed matters in an effort to determine what
part, if any, these matters contributed to the collapse of Enron.

1. Government records reveal the awarding of seats to Enron
executives and Ken Lay on four Energy Department trade missions and seven
Commerce Department trade trips during the Clinton administration's eight
years.

a. From January 13, 1995 through June 1996, Clinton Commerce
Secretary Ron Brown and White House Counsel Mack McLarty assisted Ken Lay
in closing a $3 billion dollar power plant deal with India. Four days before
India gave final approval to the deal, Enron gave $100,000 to the DNC. Any
quid pro quo?

b. Clinton National Security Advisor, Anthony Lake, threatened to
withhold aid to Mozambique if it didn't approve an Enron pipeline project.
Subsequent to Mr. Lake's threats, Mozambique approved the
project, which resulted in a further $770 million dollar electric power
contract with Enron. Perhaps, if NSA Advisor Lake had not been so busy
strong-arming for Enron, he might have been focused on something obliquely
related to national security like, say, Mr. Bin Laden? Could it be that a
different, somewhat related, investigation is warranted?

c. In 1999, Clinton Energy Secretary Bill Richardson traveled to
Nigeria and helped arrange a joint, varied, energy development program
which resulted in $882 million in power contracts for Enron from
Nigeria. Perhaps if Energy Secretary Richardson had been more focused on
domestic energy, we might have avoided:

i. The severe loss of nuclear secrets to China and concurrently
ii. Developed more domestic sources of energy.

d. Subsequent to leaving Clinton White House employ, Enron hired
Mack McLarty (White House Counsel), Betsy Moler (Deputy Energy
Secretary) and Linda Robertson (Treasury Official). Even a person without a
high school diploma (no disrespect to airline security screeners) can see
that this looks like Enron paying off political favors with fat-cat
corporate jobs, at the expense of stockholders and Enron pension employees.

e. Democratic Mayor Lee P. Brown of Houston (Enron headquarter
city), received $250,000 just before Enron filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
Isn't that an awful lot of money to throw away right before bankruptcy?

The Democratic National Committee was the recipient of hundreds
of thousands of dollars from 1990 through 2000. The above matters
appear to be very troubling and look like, smack of, reek of, political
favors for campaign payoffs. I know you will find out.

2. Recently, former Clinton Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin
called a top U.S. Treasury official, asking on Enron's behalf, for
government help with credit agencies. As you well know, Rubin is the
chairman of
executive committee at Citigroup, which just coincidentally, is Enron's
largest unsecured creditor at an estimated $3 billion dollars.

3. As you well know, Mr. Leiberman, Citigroup is Senator Tom
Daschle's largest contributor ($50,000) in addition to being your single
largest contributor ($112,546). This fact brings to mind some disturbing
questions I feel you must answer.

a. Have you, any member of your staff, any Senate or House
colleagues, any relatives or any friends of yours, been asked by Citigroup
to intercede on their behalf, in an effort to recover part or all of
Citigroup's $3 billion, at the expense of Enron's shareholders, employees
and or
Enron pensioners?

b. Did your largest contributor, Citigroup, have anything to do
with the collapse of Enron?

c. Enron has tens of thousands of employees, stockholders and
pensioners who have lost their life savings. How will you answer their most
obvious question? Do you represent Citigroup, your largest contributor,
or do you represent the Enron employees, et al, who stand to lose if
Citigroup recovers any of its $3 billion?

During Sunday's Face the Nation, both you and Senator McCain
praised Attorney General Ashcroft for recusing himself from the Justice
Department investigation because he had once received a contribution from
Enron. I know in my heart, that, being the honest gentleman you are, you
will now recuse yourself because of the glaring conflict of interest
described above. I also know that you will pass this letter to your
successor for his or her attention.

Very truly yours,

Robert Theodore Knalur