Re: [MV] Jacksonville FL collectors and clubs

From: Jim Winne (jwinne@nettally.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 17:52:59 PST

Ah Hank my deluded comrad,

The Aligators that are dangerous around these parts wear orange and blue
and get drunkenly obnoxious in the fall of the year. I think it is their
mating season and they have a hard time of that. The gridlock of the
traffic on their expressways will warm the heart of any big city
dweller. If you really want to know the lowdown on Jacksonville, spend a
week down here about the second week of August and I guarantee you won't
want to leave the cool and comfortable woods of New England.

I grew up at the Jacksonville Beaches and lived there until I was 28. It
was getting too crowded when I left in 1976 so you can imagine what it is
like now. For quality of life, assuming that you can tolerate the 100%
humidity, you will want to look into surrounding communities such as
McClenny, Orange Park, St. Augustine, or Fernandina Beach. They are a
little farther out but not so overcrowded. Rural north Florida is much
nicer than Urban north Florida.

And for the MV content, the only group I know of is the First Florida
chapter of the MVPA and that is statewide. There are groups in most of the
larger cities (and Jax is that for sure). The contact for the Northeastern
area is:

                 Joe Lorentzen
                 340 Glenlyon Dr.
                 Orange Park, Fl 32073
                 e-mail: joesphotos@msn.com

You may want to contact the newsletter editor, Dick Deren, and see if he
will send you a complimentary copy. His e-mail is:

                 d.deren@worldnet.att.net

If you get a stiff drink and sit calmly for a while, this nomadic urge too
will pass. #8^)

best regards,
JIm (KB4IVH)
one of the original "Sons of the Beach"