Re: [MV] (Mule-M274 question).....

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 09:12:15 PST

>Another silly question to debate...
>
>Can you register a Mule to drive on the street?

Like anything which potentially can travel on public ways, it depends on
each individual state, so a general question like this won't help you out
much without identifying what state you live in. In my state (Maine) I
am pretty sure the MULE would be looked at as an ATV and therefore not a
motor vehicle. That would mean it can only travel on public ways to a
very limited extent. And that is correct in my mind. However, I do know
of someone who registered more than one for street use. I think it was
New Mexico or Arizona.

Personally, it would be suicide to drive something like that on the roads
around here. Fully loaded logging trucks are not something you want to
tangle with :-) And in rural areas, like mine, NOBODY gives you a hassle
if you are using it for work related to your property. In other words,
you can classify it as Agricultural Equipment and do all sorts of things
with it, on and off public ways, that other vehicles legally can't.
 Hell, they hardly bother to enforce ATV/Snowmobile regulations on public
ways.

Steve