Re: [MV] multifuel injector problem

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 09:46:19 PST

Hi Joe:
    With the side cover (the big, oblong, bulgy one on the side near the
back on the compensator end of the injection pump) and the cable from STOP
handle removed, you should be able to move the little studded lever inside
there back with your finger, and when you let go, it should spring forward
rapidly. If it doesn't move backwards with almost NO pressure, and spring
back immediately when you let go, don't try to start it until you've worked
it loose so it does.
    When I got my truck out of Devens, it would not start, and being very
ignorant about deuces, we found the bound up stop lever inside the injector/
compensator in the STOP position and just tapped it open and started it. BIG
mistake. The lever also is involved in the governor linkage, and since it
was bound up, the engine started and "ran away". Luckily, a more
knowledgeable diesel dude was there and plugged the air intake.
    It took about 2 1/2 to 3 hours of spraying penetrating oil and carb
cleaner in the lever port and moving it continuously back and forth before
it became free. After that it worked fine. Now, before I start the truck, I
pull the STOP handle out and push it back in BEFORE I start the truck. As
the manual says, if you pull the handle and nothing happens to stop the
engine, exit stage left, cause the flywheel sits below you at mid thigh.
    High pucker factor if you never heard a runaway.
    (Oh,oh....will this become another Jerry can thread?)

    Ronzo