Re: [MV] M151A1 carb update

From: Jay (dagobertii@home.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 10:59:49 PST

Hi, Tony.

Hard to tell without being there to look at it in person, of course, but
you might want to check the little springs that go to the weights on the
distributor's centrifugal advance. They may be missing one side, or may
be weak. Or, perhaps one of the weights is sticking? Another thing to
check is if the timing is walking (with a timing light, see if the
timing changes at a steady idle without moving the distributor and with
the vacuum advance unhooked, if it has one). If those motors use a
timing chain instead of direct gear driven cam drive, slack in the chain
can cause that effect. The cure is a new timing chain and gear set.
 Check those things, and see if that fixes it. Another old VW trick is
to pull the air cleaner and while idling, cup your palm over the mouth
of the carb till it bogs down, then remove your hand and let it recover.
 This may clear up any minor clogs in the vacuum circuits of the carb.
 Hope that helps.

Jay Travis