Re: [MV] Crank case ?

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 13:45:38 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jumpmaster" <the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Crank case ?

> --- John Best <besty@americu.net> wrote:
> > I checked the dip stick and noticed a whitish-gray
> > foam on it. I hope this is a result of poor
> > crankshaft venting because of excess idling and /or
> > not driving it? Does anyone know
> > if this is just a minor weather thing?
>
> Last time I saw whitish-grey foam on my M38A1
> dipstick, it was because voluminous amounts of coolant
> were dumped into the crankcase while the engine was
> running.

Its got water in it and made "mayonnaise" - an emulsion of oil and water. It
may be a lot or a little, it may be an internal leak or just the effect of
condensation if its un-run for long spells and kept in an unheated area.

Best change the oil immediately and any filters, then run it for several miles
and re-check the level, if its rising or gone milky-grey you have a coolant
leak.

The slang term "mayonnaise" for this phenomenon used in engineering is actually
quite accurate since the actual edible stuff is only egg (mostly water) and a
dribble of olive oil very vigorously beaten together to force it to emulsify.

Emulsion - A fine dispersion of minute droplets of one liquid in another in
which it is not soluble or miscible.

Richard
Southampton - England
-Solent Area MVT-