Re: [MV] Info on Cowardly Hatemail Anonymous Emailer

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 10:02:55 PST

At 4:22 PM +0000 2/26/02, Nigel Hay wrote:
>David,
>The Roughs Tower fort which likes to be known as Sealand is visible from
>near here on a clear day , I have in fact flown in a small plane over it and
>looked at it and the other forts in the Thames Estuary.It was definately
>inhabited on each occasion.
> Initially Run by a Roy Bates it has a very colourful past and I recall
>seening in a TV documentary about its passports.The actress Daina Doors was
>(I think) romantically linked to somewone at Sealand -I believe, in the
>heady days of 1960 Pirate radio. It was an active and popular pirate radio
>station, had various raids and skirmishes over the years and continues to be
>quite
>a mystery to this day.
>Quite why anyone would want to live their beats me, its about the size of a
>light aircraft hanger - I doubt if the servers are located there as how they
>could ever cover the cost of the miles of cabling needed to reach the fort.
>Nige

What a strange thing Sealand. I was initially thinking it was
something larger, but it certainly is bloody small little platform.
Still it has some appeal I think.

Likely it wasn't such a big deal to get the miles of cabling there
(considering they run such cables across the ocean in far deeper
depths). The cost to get a couple of OC3s out there probably wasn't
too huge given the shallow depth and proximity to the mainland. Also,
they likely could have negotiated a deal with the cable layers/owners
to provide space with in their waters and a maintenance point for the
ocean bottom cables that likely sweetened the deal.

Its not a bad idea to locate data havens in tiny off shore locales.
Their expense is fuel, getting food out there and that's pretty much
it. They have some transport costs but zero taxes I think.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -