Sale of the Carryall

From: cdavis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 08:22:51 PST

I felt I would drop a line to the list(s) in general considering the number
of helpful responses I received regarding my Carryall sale on ebay.

It sold last night for $8200.00, which is a lot lower than I had hoped.

I had several suggestions to simply bid on it myself, cancel the auction,
or have a buddy bid on it, and a couple offers to actually bid on it for
me, with the understanding that it wouldn't actually be sold. Each of
options had it's appeal, especially as zero hour approached with little
movement in the price. I am especially touched by the folks who would have
bid if I had simply given the word. Such friendship is rare.

At the end of the day though, I decided that my personal peace and perhaps
reputation were not worth the couple (ok, several) thousand dollars more I
wanted the truck to sell for.

The neat thing about real auctions, is that sometimes the price goes high,
and sometimes it goes low. I've been fortunate enough to be on the winning
side of that equation many times in my life, so I need to expect to be on
the losing side every once in a while.

Thanks again to everyone who offered ideas and suggestions.

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA
'42 WC53 Carryall (sold - but not out of the garage)
'66 M151-A1 Mutt