Unleaded Petrol

From: Gerry Davison (gerry@marlab.dk)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 08:26:16 PST

Hi Gordon

Well well, looks like the vets are still around...:-))

Betty has now run on unleaded 92 octane since 1993 and has put at least
20,000 miles on the clock since then and she still runs well. Before I ever
ran her on unleaded I discussed the matter with a guy at the Shell company
laboratory, who told me about the history of leaded petrol - which of course
was not available until 1946 when the first experimental supplies for
commercial availability were sold in Swizerland. Since Bettys engine was
from march 48, but unchanged from the original in 1943, I guessed I could
easily run her without problems. The last 9 years have shown this to be
true. Mind you, the petrol prices in Denmark are so high ($1 US a liter)
and this costs me 35c a kilometer that I am now considering putting a turbo
diesel in. Otherwise she won't come out on the road again. If/when that
happens I will be renovating the original engine throughout and will have an
opportunity to actually measure wear on the valves and seats. That will
indeed be interesting.
.
Regards
Gerry

p.s Nice to be back after all these years..