Snow Cats

From: Gerry Davison (gerry@marlab.dk)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 09:04:07 PST

Hi Gordon

Envious eh ? You wouldn't be if you also had to pay 60% in income tax and
25% VAT...:-))

On the diesel conversion, I am considering a Mercedes. I know that Betty was
towed into the Mercedes Benz workshops in Waiblingen (just outside
Stuttgart) in 1948 to get a new engine and frot diff plus 2 new wheels (all
date stamped), so I thought a Mercedes would be acceptable. I have not
chosen a gearbox yet, but am thinking maybe a David Brown since they have a
factory in Sunderland, my place of birth.

Only snow cats I have seen have been in Sweden, Norway, and at Budge's. No
snow cats or parts were ever landed in Denmark. This is probably because we
only get a total of about 3 weeks of snow a year. The rest of the winter it
is just cold. Snow cats were the preferred means of travel in Telemark and
of course up in the high north by Svalbard and NordKap. The one I saw in
Norway was at Kongsberg. The one I saw in Sweden was I think at the Axvall
museum in Skøvde when I was visiting the 3rd Panser Batallion there in 1991.
The boat may have put them off in Sweden.

Regards
Gerry