hardened valves, etc.

From: JaxInCalifornia@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 11:17:32 PST

It's been my experience that all older petrol engines will perform well for 150,000-200,000 miles or more if simply driven and maintained as originally intended.

Harden valves are an improvement of course, same for any number of changes since the late 60's, but the greatest factor in preserving the life of your vehicle is how you drive it and service it. All esle pales by comparison.

I have had zero problems with soft valves, but I also use a lead additive and change all fluids as per the manual. I keep the valves adjusted per the manual too.

If I can add one more thing, I consider these friction reducing oil additives, like STP or teflon based synthetics pretty much a waste of money, just gimicks that do very little to prolong engine life.

My 2 cents worth,
Jack Lee (Sunny California)
Valp L3314N