Missing Messages affects Roadside Help list

From: John Stewart-Smith (john_stewartsmith@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 14:13:24 PST

Hello List, Sarge here,
It looks like I have had an attack of the infamous "Missing Messages", I
just received an e-mail asking if a particular person was on the help list.
He was not, because his message to me got lost in an e-mail black hole
somewhere.
If you have e-mailed me with an offer to volunteer and I sent you the draft
list, you are going to be on it. If you have e-mailed me and received no
reply (with an .xls attachment), then please resend your message, I did not
get it.
The list will be updated at least once a week with new additions (I hope!).
Anybody, at any time, who wishes to be removed from the list, will be
removed within 24 hours, no questions asked.
Story time.
I recently picked up an M35 in Wisconsin and drove it back to Texas with
only basic hand tools. Of course it broke, often. I was completely on my own
and it was a horror story. Blown hoses, overheating, stuck to the axles at
midnight, minus 15 degrees trying to sleep in the cab on the side of the
interstate. Nobody would stop at midnight and help, I'm 6'5", 275 and have
been described as 'scary'. My guardian angel was a Minnesota State Trooper
who literally rescued me from freezing. Of course, nobody has to point out
the obvious, I was guilty of stupidity, for not planning for such common MV
problems.
I hope that this list will be used as an insurance policy against such
horror stories. You cannot plan for every eventuality nor can you carry more
than a few spare parts. If you have this list and a few quarters in your
pocket, you should have a warm fuzzy feeling if you break down within
helping distance of anyone on it. Remember, you do not have to be on the
list in order to use it. There are a thousand valid reasons for not being on
the list, and no one will ever question your reason. But when you travel,
carry it with you.
Boy, I sure do go on!
-John aka Sarge