Re: [MV] perils of honesty

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 13:03:01 PST

wwd@netheaven.com wrote:

> So then what is that eBay thingy which says that 'all transactions are insured
> by eBay' or whatever. I've glanced at it a few times. It seems to imply some
> sort of ultimate insurance against a total rip-off like nothing ever shipped
> or junk instead of what was pictured. Is my guess.

In practice, when I've complained, there has always been some catch or other. I
generally (4 times in 3 years) get a long canned answrer telling me about the
Postal Inspectors, Better Business Bureau, State AG, or some internet fraud
agency or other. The crux of the matter is that eBay seems unwilling to act
against sellers. I can forward the messages to you, if you'd like. If you object
to their policies, they tell you how tp leave eBay. IMO that is their corporate
attitude.

> I just asked a seller if he would consider an escrow deal and he came back
> with 'why?'. Well, he has 0 for a fb value, is wearing shades, is in another
> country (Canada) *and* actually stated in the short 3 line description: "I am
> the sole owner of this rig." Well I have nothing against sole ownership, but
> have I seen anyone actually bother to declare this on eBay before? If this is
> not a good candidate for an escrow agent, tell me what is. BTW, eBay doesn't
> apparently know the term 'escrow'- try
> to search on it. Anyone know an escrow agent that is honest and cheap?
>
> Bill

How about looking for a ham local to the seller to look at the rig? Has eBay
stopped the escrow thing? I've never used it. Used to be you had to be buyer
with 10+ FB before you could sell, but they changed that to having a credit
card. IMO, they don't care about the transactions, just their fees. Everybody
had shades and 0 FB at one point when a newbie. Is the item you want REALLY
unique?

Good luck,
John