RE: [MV] Missing Data Plates

From: Rich Sherman (richs@volcano.net)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 15:10:45 PST

<snip>
>That's my story to how my Jeep is missing it's data plates. What would I
>need to do to get this licensed for the state of California. Would >they
give
>me a VIN? Should I use the engine's number? I still need to purchase the
>engine, and I do have a license plate already (The first character is an
"E"
>inside of a hexagon... What is that for?)
> - Aaron

In Calif it should not be too bad to register. If you can get a bill of sale
from the person you got it from then all you will have to do is goto the
local Highway Patrol and they will assign a number, then you register as
normal. If you don't have a bill of sale then you'll just have to complete a
Statement of Facts form saying when you got it and how much you paid. If it
has been some time since you got it and when you plan on registering it you
might have to complete a Certificate of Non-Operation covering that time.
This is the only really sticky part of the process. They might try to charge
back fees, which can be REALLY expensive with the 100%, or more, penalties.

That plate you have is an 'exempt' plate the municipalities get which means
they don't pay any fees or need any stickers on the plates. These are
supposed to be removed at the time of sale. If you tell them you have it the
DMV will want those plates back before issuing new ones.

Good luck,

Rich Sherman
Sutter Creek, Ca.