Automatic transmissions in M35A3

From: Joe Shannon (fordpart@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 09:27:48 PST

This portion is fact:
    A friend of mine was on maneuvers I think in Kentucky. One of these
transmissions went out on the truck ahead of him so they pulled of the
side of the road to investigate. Like any good operator they left the
trucks idling to cool down while they walked around and looked the
situation over. The driver of the ker-funked truck walked between his
and the truck in front of him and grabbed the front bumper and dropped
down to look at the truck from the front. Truck still idling. When he
stepped out from between the trucks the one with the bad transmission
locked in forward hit the truck in front and killed the motor. No one
was hurt but the fellow had to have a little rest because of shock.
    They swore it was not in gear.

This portion is opinion:
    I hate automatic transmissions in anything that pulls a load. You
have less feel and less control and from personal experience more
walking when it goes out.