Humvee Regsitration

From: J Brennan (brenrock@optonline.net)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 12:22:53 PST

To those who may or not remember. Two years ago I purchased a Humvee and
registered it in Connecticut. A week after getting my plates I got a call
from DMV asking for the plates back as they "erroneously" issued me the
plates. It turned out that AM General had sent a letter to CT DMV
protesting the registration of any military Humvee's. I held onto the
plates and the registration and hence ensued a two year exchange of letters
between myself and DMV. Never could I get an answer from DMV nor AM General
as to which FMVSS that the Humvee did not meet which was the point of the AM
General letter. I'm not surprised that AM General would not release this
info. Well the registration was for only two years which ended on March
8th. I met with DMV last week to end this process and to get all my paper
work back including my Form 97. The DMV rep fully understood my predicament
and I had an excellent conversation on this topic. Turns out that AM
General was telling DMV that the reason for not releasing the FMVSS on the
Humvee is that parts of the Humvee are still classified. Go figure - it's
just a diesel truck. How classified is it if I and numerous others own
them?

I had a good run and enjoyed driving my Humvee for the past two years and
learned a ton about our government and the federal and state vehicle
statutes. Nonetheless I now have a Humvee without plates. I have no
intention of selling it as I purchased it to restore it and keep it. I also
intend to pursue this as it is absurd that AM General can make a statement
and yet hide behind the "classified" wall on not providing the FMVSS
answers. It's also ludicrous that CT is just about the only state that won'
t register Humvee's (or certain other military vehicles). However once the
vehicle becomes 25 years of age then this all disappears since it would be
considered an antique. Just absurd. I consider it an off shoot of the
hobby and it's part of the fun. Just like Chess.

I want to thank all those who over the past two years provided me
information and suggestions during this game. I would like now to get some
more advice on getting my Humvee registered in a different state as I have
heard that recommendation several times before. Maine being one of those
states. If anyone has done this before and has suggestions on how to pursue
this it would be appreciated. Thanks.

John
'93 M1038 HMMWV