Re: [MV] Further Transport issues with Ferret/Dingo

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 09:27:47 PST

Well there are many aspects of this situation. It should be simple, but it is not.

First you have federal law on what requires a CDL and that is pretty straightforward.

If you haul stuff commercially, (not your own stuff) and you are getting paid for it, then you are a commercial driver and you must follow CDL regs set by the federal government.

If you don't fit the above criteria, then you are a non-commercial driver and what happens and what you need to do really falls into state jurisdiction.

If you go to the Licence bureau and ask questions, expect to get confused. I have found that most of the people behind state BMV counters have no idea what the law is.

Note there is a big difference between the issues regarding license plates and what is required to drive regarding the actual drivers license. Big difference.

For instance, in Indiana, you can drive a semi tractor and haul your own stuff without a CDL, but you must have regular semi plates or historical plates. Plate charges are based on
weight on not whether or not it is for commercial use, except in the case of Farm Vehicle plates. (Another issue)

Most farmers who haul their own grain via semi's do not have CDLs. A CDL is not required, or at least no one enforces it if in fact there is a law somewhere.

I have seen semi tractor-trailer rigs converted to campers (very big ones) in Indiana and they are equipped with RV tags and the driver is not required to have a CDL.

I have an M51 with Historical Vehicle plates and haul dirt and rock (for my own use). A CDL is not required.

Finally you will find many conflicting laws and regulations. You really have to follow whatever your state mandates. But before you decide that you have it all figured out, talk to
some people in your state who have already gone through the mill. You might find that what is law is entirely different than what actually occurs.

A short story:
I met a guy who sells tie downs and winch straps at a big car show in Indiana. He had a mobile workshop and transporter that was homebrewed. It consisted on this:
A Kenworth long wheel base semi tractor, fifth wheel removed and a 20 foot van box installed. He converted the van box to an RV with bunk, stove, shower, toilet, etc.

His shop trailer consisted of a pintle hitch tag trailer with a 30 foot box and he had dual tandem axles under that. It was a huge rig. He had Pennsylvania RV plates on the
Kenworth and regular trailer plates on the trailer. He said he had only been stopped once after he passed a scale. (He doesn't do scales) He said he hauls that rig all over the USA
to various car shows. He doesn't have a CDL. He says he is exempt since he is hauling his own stuff and apparently it has worked so far.

Hopefully this give you some idea of the lattitude allowed in various states.

Dave