Re: [MV] m35a3 and automatics

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 01:03:24 PST

The major reason why the Army went the auto route is the same reason my
employer (Paving/construction company with 300+ employes over 80+ trucks)
just took delivery of the 19th auto equipped dump truck is.
    There aren't any DRIVERS applying for jobs that can shift thier pickups
much less a 7-8-9-10-12-13-15or 20 speed trannys without tearing them apart.
We had a new driver last spring in 33 days totally wrecked a Fuller 9 speed
that any driver on this list will tell you is one of the easiest to shift.
It was so bad they replaced it with a brand new one cause the old one was
literally a pile of not so moving parts and scrap in the bottom of the
gerarbox. What made it worse was it was new the previous summer. Would you
like to spend $15,000.00 plus to replace a transmission because you have a
dummy who thinks he can drive? This applies to not only Women but men also.
9 speed above was a man and no he didn't get the truck back but was sent
down the road to look for a job. Granted autos in truck are not what a
driver who is used to a manual and know what he is doing but the government
decided it was cheaper to go the auto route.

    To any and all Motor Sargents out there, how many times have you seen an
M-35A2 come into the shop with a screwed up tranny because of driver
training??

I will now fall off my soapbox with the P.S. that I have been driving heavy
equipment since 1972.

Jim Shanks
1998 IMZ 8.103
1984 HD FLHT-C