Re: [MVlist] Halftrack identification

From: Nigel (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 02:48:07 PST

There is some confusion here - GUN MOTOR CARRIAGE M3 is a halftrack with a
75mm gun mounted on it ( see p44 Standard ordnance catalogue) If this is the
case, sounds like you have a hybrid here. Thats a lot rarer than
 the standard M3 halftrack in its various versions..

I guess this has no rear door? personell carrying M3's were converted by I
think a kit to turn them into M16A1's You are correct about the folding
armour not present on the converted M16A1- the Maxon turrets had an extra
raised mounting ring to allow them to be high enough to fire over the M3
armour without risk of damage.
I recall the M16a1 floor is different.
Is there a fairly thick power lead from the rear under the turret to the
engine compartment? If so its likely that this is a post war conversion -
perhaps by the French .

Bear in mind that it could well have been totally re-bodied.There is no
difference in the chassis and drive train. As a clue -the factory made M16
has a bulkhead with a radio box and no provison for a canvas cover even on
the cab compartment.
I think that the clue to dating is if it has conventional or de-mountable
headlites - the latter being after 1943 I think.
more I think about it, you have a GUN MOTOR CARRIAGE M3 that has been
rebodied to turn it into a MULTIPLE GUN MOTOR CARRIAGE M16
Hope this is of interest, NIGE