Re: hp of 5 ton

From: dan doig (opm@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 19:08:11 PST

It seems that there is different bell housings that will mate the different
trannys to the engine .I assume the 5 ton tranny is beafier and can handle more
power .The only thing is i have heard that their about 170hp or 210 or 250 and
I am not sure is it a continental or a cummings? I know to many changing the
engine to other than stock oem is a taboo but here in canada were not that big
into military vehicals or at least knowbuddy sells them here other than the odd
one once in a blue moon that shows up. I wonder if a rad shop built a multi
core rad if it would take care of the heat generated by this bigger engine.The
main thing is to cost efectivly put some power into a 2.5 ton without blowing
the budget since you can buy used tranys and engine for around 2500. and if you
had to change it anyways why not.Also have you heard about a m656 it supposably
had a high output LDS465 .Iwonder what made that engine different from the
standard engines in them.