M35 speedo problems

From: w7ls (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 18:13:25 PST

I have the same problem. I bought a NOS speedo cable and continued to
have the same problem. I thought the cable was not seated far enough
into the speedo. It ate the receptical out of the speedo. The nominally
square female receptacle is now perfectly conical. Did that on two
speedos. This is getting old. Apparently, what is happening is that the
cable is able to withdraw down into the sheath, letting the end flail at
just the end of the speedo, chewing it out. Gene suggested that the far
end of the cable is dropping too far down into the tranny, and maybe
inserting something like a BB would prevent it from falling so far down
there. This problem is not addressed in the military manuals, at all. It
just tells you to install a new speedo cable. Great. Did that. Doesn't
work.
Does anybody have a better fix for this problem? Jim