state licensing of Mil Vehicles

From: Jim Zehr (jimzehr@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 18:30:10 PST

A couple of months ago there was a discussion concerning the licensing of
former military vehicles in some states by registering without the use of a
license plate.
Someone had mentioned two or three states other than Louisiana. One of the
states was Indiana and I was wondering if that M Ver is still with us and if
he or she has any more information concerning the Hoosier state. I am
originally from Indiana and am thinking about moving back in the not too
distant future and this info would be helpful.
As for anyone that lives in Louisiana there is such a rule here. I have
been driving legally for about five years using the military VIN as the
bumper number. Of course the usual other requirements still apply, i.e.;
liability insurance, yearly safety inspection, etc. The inspection sticker
does not have to be displayed but you do have to have it stapled to the
registration along with the license plate validation sticker that would
normally be attached to the plate.
Jim
'84 M-1009
'52 M105A2