Re: [MV] state licensing of Mil Vehicles

From: Dave Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 10:34:49 PST

I can tell you about MV licensing in Indiana.

There is a special provison in the state code for privately owned MVs. (see below)

The problem is that the BMV as of two years ago had not fullfilled their duty to inact the rules required to make this law work.

Hence (as of two years ago) they have no mechanism to make this law work as described. As a compromise, the BMV issued me a Historical license plate for
my M51 for which they charge me about $40.00/yr. I also carry a copy of this law in my glovebox in case an officer questions me about the plate.

Perhaps you will have better luck with the Indiana BMV. However I suggest that you carry a copy of the law into the BMV with you, as they might not believe
that this is in fact law. (I had to go back home, print it out and take it back in to show them) They had no clue. In fact they didn't have any idea as to what
to do. They had to get advice from Indy on what to do. A few days later they called me and told me to come in and talk it over, that's when we came up with
the compromise.

On another note, my next door neighbors last name is Zehr. That is a common last name in North East Indiana.

Good Luck,

Dave
M51

http://www.state.in.us/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar18/ch14.html

Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency
03/26/2002 01:19:37 PM EST
IC 9-18-14
    Chapter 14. Military Vehicle Registration
IC 9-18-14-1
    Sec. 1. A person who owns a military vehicle may register the
military vehicle under this chapter instead of registering for a license
plate issued for:
        (1) a vehicle under IC 9-18-2; or
        (2) an antique motor vehicle under IC 9-18-12.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6.
IC 9-18-14-2
    Sec. 2. If a person who owns a military vehicle registers the military
vehicle under this chapter, the registration of the military vehicle is for
the life of the military vehicle.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6.
IC 9-18-14-3
    Sec. 3. If a person who owns a military vehicle registers the military
vehicle under this chapter the:
        (1) bureau shall not issue a license plate for the military vehicle;
and
        (2) bureau shall authorize as a registration number the military
vehicle identification number stenciled on the military vehicle in
white or yellow letters and numbers in accordance with all
pertinent military regulations.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6.
IC 9-18-14-4
    Sec. 4. The bureau shall adopt a:
        (1) registration form; and
        (2) certificate of registration;
to implement this chapter.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6.
IC 9-18-14-5
    Sec. 5. The bureau shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to implement
this chapter.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6.