question about a relay

From: JaxInCalifornia@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 15:35:34 PST

I am hooking up a relay switch on my trailer to run extra lights off the trailer battery without overloading my truck switch.

The relay was already on the trailer, but not wired and I have no instructions. There are 5 spade clips on the relay box, this is a standard 12 volt relay box, about 1 inch by 1.5 inches. (see below)

I figure one lead must go to the battery and stays hot and this is passed thru to a spade clip to go to the stop lights when tripped by the stop lamp on the truck.

Question: How do I determine post goes to the battery and which goes to stop light and the stop light wire from the truck?

FYI, I tried using a volt meter and testing with a hot wire from the battery, but it didn't seem to trip any switch that I could find, I kept moving my volt meter around the spade terminals looking but nothing seemed to make sense.

The relay is configured with two spade clips on either end with the 5th spade clip being slightly closer to one of the end pair... see diagram below.

( + = 12 volts - represents the spade clip )

Below is the pattern:

[- a - d ] + put to d passes + to e
[- b -c - e ] + put to c passes + to b
                + put to a does not pass to any clip

Anyone have a clue how the relay is suppose to work? I'm stuck and I know it has to be really simple, but electrical wiring is not my strong point.

Thanks in advance, Jack