Sv: [MV] Kevlar vests (bulletproof)

From: Gerry Davison (gerry@marlab.dk)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 22:31:39 PST

I totally agree Sarge

A bunch of guys and myself tried the same thing with the same result. We
didn't use the .50 cal. Instead we used a shotgun at 5 metres. The shot was
virtually stopped. Well most of it was anyway. The overlapping plastic
sheets inside still let some through the gaps.

As you say, these jackets were designed to stop splinters and shrapnel,
nothing else. But since more casualties in combat of the kind these vests
were designed for are caused by exactly those things than direct contact
with a projectile, they probably saved a few lives.

By the way, when we weighed the vest at the end it had gained 1lb...

Regards
Gerry
Denmark