Re: [MV] CUCV overdrive

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 05:21:21 PST

I'd have to agree with Gene on this. The overdrive is not engaged if you're
running those rpm's. With factory gears and without overdrive, a CUCV
(pickup) will run around 2700 rpm at 55 mph and 3200 rpm at 65 mph. The
motor should be governed to 3600 rpm, which means at 65 mph, you are already
pushing the limits. Now, with a 0.70 overdrive, you should be able to get
down to around 2300 at 65 mph. Of course, the 255 tires may cause these
numbers to vary slightly (depends on their diameter), but they should be
close enough for government work. :) All in all, it sounds like your man got
the specs for the unit right on, you just need to get it engaging!