Re: [MV] Part # Stupid question of the day

From: John Stewart-Smith (john_stewartsmith@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 02:06:36 PST

Bruce,
it's not a stupid question, the answer is, it depends on the part number
itself and on the FSCM (manufacturer). If the part number begins with 'MS',
then yes, it is a military part number. If the FSCM code is 96906 or 19207
then it is manufactured by 'Army Automotive Tank Command', meaning that it
is unique to the military. There may be other FSCM's that are also uniquely
military but I cannot remember them. You really need access to FEDLOG in
order to find out who manufactures the part. Also many part numbers cross
reference to several different manufacturers, the best example I can think
of off the top of my head is 'PH8A', an oil filter made by more than a dozen
companies.
What is the particular part number and FSCM you are researching?
-Sarge