Re: [MV] DRMO Europe

From: John Stewart-Smith (john_stewartsmith@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 02:29:42 PST

Gerry,
I have convoyed from central Germany to Denmark more than once and it was a
two day drive. I imagine it should only take one day in a POV.
My information is limited about European DRMO's because I departed Europe in
January 1999. At that time the rules about buying vehicles (or anything
else) were that you must be on an approved bidder list. If you carry any
form of US Government identification, such as an active duty or retired US
military ID card, you are automatically approved to purchase. There is a bit
of a goat rope with paperwork in order to get the vehicle released to you,
but this just means that you will have to wait a few days before taking the
vehicle home. K-town (Kaiserslautern) has the biggest DRMO but in my
opinion, Bitburg has the best quality vehicles. They are usually Air Force,
meaning low mileage and good condition. Due to a large tactical unit at
nearby Spangdahlem Air Base, Bitburg DRMO frequently sells M-Series
vehicles.
I believe that the auction lists are now available on the Internet. You will
have to drive down to eyeball the stuff personally, because DRMO will not
describe the condition.
Bitburg is the same distance from you as K-Town. It is in the Eifel/Ardenne
mountains 30 minutes from the Luxembourg border, 20k's north or Trier. I
don't think that you will find a DRMO closer than central Germany, as we
closed down the North after the wall fell.
Remember, my information may be out of date!
-Sarge