Re: [MV] 20MM cases:

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 16:20:24 PST

wwd@netheaven.com wrote:

'I have recently acquired a number of 20mm cadmium plated cartridges,150, once fired and need
to clean them up, some are a little rusty and I need to know what will clean them safely with
out damaging the cadmium plating.'

Try soaking them in WD-40 for a day and then a brush or wheel with fiber or brass wires. That
should remove the rust. Do not use Hydrochloric Acid. Naval Jelly ( Phosphoric Acid ) might
work, but I do not know if it will damage the cad plating.

Cad plating can be cleaned with the dip silver cleaner containing Acidified Thiourea. Do not
re-use the solutrion on other metals. It will remove dark areas and yellow stains. Rinse and
dry very well afterwards.

There is a faux cad plating kit available. I believe it is zinc.

-John