[MV] Just got one of my M35A2s from GL...

From: RKubu@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 05:54:49 PST

List,
I just picked up one of the M35A2s that I recently got from GL out of Richmond, VA. It is a really nice truck and runs really well. Fortunatly, they left all of the maintenance and transfer records in the glovebox. The truck was with the CT AR NG as recently as 1995. From there, it was released and then sent to Ft. Stewart, GA along with three other M35A2s. Once in GA, it was assessed. The paperwork clearly described the condition and mileage of the truck. At this point (1995), the truck had 31,924 miles. The description also stated that it had bad fenders, a leaking transmission, rust in the bed and a bad rear engine main seal. The next bit of paperwork was dated a year later...same mileage. It stated that the transmission was fixed, clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing replaced, new fenders mounted, rear engine main seal replaced, bed fixed, and the entire truck was sandblasted and painted tan CARC. Well, that was March 1996.

I just picked up the truck...and it has 31,975 miles. So, this truck was driven only 51 miles in the last six years. No evidence of troop seats or a communication shelter having been installed. In fact, the bed does not have a scratch on it. I don't think the truck was ever issued. I think they received it, fixed it and then let it sit. That is all I can figure out based upon the paperwork and the condition.

One question to those with might know...why would the truck have been sent to Ft. Stewart, GA when no one actually needed it? How would it have ended up in Richmond, VA?

Bruce

1957 M125 w/w
1966 M172A1
1971 M35A2