renting Sherman abroad (Form 97)

From: Hanno Spoelstra (HL.Spoelstra@inter.NL.net)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 11:59:02 PST

>From: "Bill Guiette" <bill@guiettemfg.com>
>To: <HL.Spoelstra@inter.NL.net>
>Subject: Sherman Encyclopedia
>Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:40:34 -0800
>
>I have a M4A3 Sherman that has had at least 4 owners since 1970 when it
was sold by MGM Studios. At present, I have an opportunity to rent it for a
Motion Picture being filmed in another country, and the subject of a Form
97(Release from U.S. Govt) has come up. I don't have one and neither has any
of the owners since the purchase from MGM in 1970. What would be the best
way to find out if there ever was a Form 97 issued on this tank and if so,
how I can obtain a copy.

>Bill Guiette

Hi Bill,

I am sorry, but I live outside the USA so I don't know the intricacies of US
Custom forms. I do know it is very difficult to get Sherman tanks back into
the USA these days, so I'd make sure the paperwork is in order before you
send off your valued posession abroad.

I have copied this e-mail to the Sherman Register and Military Vehicles
Mailing Lists, as I am sure there are much more knowledgeable people on
these lists. They should be able to tell you more about the do's and don'ts
re. Form 97's.

Good luck and let us know if you Sherman makes it as a movie star!

Regards,
Hanno Spoelstra