Re: [MV] M1009 rear end

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 04:29:30 PDT

    The only problem with the Lock-Right is that it is designed for open
rears. A posi differential, which the M1009 should have, would require
replacement of the differential. That means you need to get the Lock-Right,
find an open differential (easy to find), and put your ring gear and Lock
right into it. Then have the rear set-up with the new differential. That
also raises the problem of not getting the pinion and ring gear to mesh the
exact way they did before, which may cause a whine in the rear as it wears a
new pattern. This is also wearing the ring gear and pinion out quicker.

    I'm curious since I've never seen the inside of an M1009 rear. Can
anyone tell me if it is a GM Gov-Lok or if it is a standard posi? If it is
the Gov-Lok, that is your problem. These are notoriously weak units. A good
Moroso posi would be a better bet. Or, find a Blazer with an open rear and
3.08 gears and put a Lock-Right in it.