Re: [MV] cucv axle bearing ?

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 04:46:10 PDT

    I'm not sure I understand your description. Are you saying that the axle
flange (with the wheel studs) will move 1/4" toward and away from the end of
the axle tube (where the seal is)? 1/4" of movement sounds like a lot to me.
Are you sure it's 1/4"? The axles inward travel is limited by the
cross-shaft of the differential and it's outward movement is limited by the
C-clips. The C clips are only about 1/8" thick, so you should not have more
movement than that.
    If the C-clips are worn badly and one gives out under pressure
(typically while turning), your axle will be allowed to pull out of your
rear. Then, your tire almost assuredly crunches the quarter panel, and
you're lucky if you stop before it comes totally out and your truck is
sitting on the axle housing. Not pretty.
    As for the dragging tire, it sounds like someone might have forgot to
put in the GM posi additive when they last filled the rear axle housing. You
should not have dragging tires or chatter around a turn if the additive is
in there. It allows enough slip between the clutches to prevent the chatter
and the associated wear.