M1009 rear-end

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 13:13:03 PDT

Hi List,
The M1009 10-bolt rear was equipped with a Gov-Pop, I mean Gov-Loc from the
factory. They are notorious for flying apart. They have these little
weights that cause the diff. to lock the axles together when it "detects"
wheel-spin. The problem is that when they finally engage, the slipping tire
is really moving along and "pop" goes the diff. Mine exploded off-road
about a year after I got my truck. I replaced it with an Auburn Limited
Slip. It has worked really well for me even though it's not a true locker.
The Auburn case is thicker and stronger than the stock open-case or the
Gov-Pop. The nice thing about a Detroit or other true locker is that they
don't engage with a bang. They have teeth which lock the axles together all
the time except when negotiating corners on pavement. Then the teeth
disengage and allow the wheels to turn at different speeds around the
corner. The problem with true lockers is when they are equipped in
lightweight vehicles, going aroung corners can be a little spooky if you are
not used to it because the locker loads up and then disengages, causing a
Jeep-weight vehicle to swerve a little bit. They also chirp or scrub the
tires going around every corner. They can also accelerate tire wear and
make some nice clunking sounds. The totally locked up vehicle will also
swing the rear end around in the snow. A locker in the front and the rear
is not a good idea unless the vehicle is strictly a rock-buggy, a
mud-runner, or if you are using ARB air lockers. Try keeping a front/rear
Detroited rig on the road in the snow. It can be a fun ride. For off-road
traction, they can't be beat though. You can essentially crawl up the side
of a mountain with only 1 front and 1 rear tire on the ground. I could go
on for hours about the +/-s of lockers, limited-slips, Lock-Rights, ARBs,
etc... so if you want to talk in greater detail, shoot me an e-mail. Hope
this helps.
Sincerely,
Chris Stansbury
Memphis, TN