Re: [MV] ME262

From: Gordon.W.I. McMillan (gwim2@student.open.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 11:06:02 PDT

redmenaced@yahoo.com writes:
>The British soldiers watching the burning Kettenkrad
>are carrying Thompson machine guns. They have the 300
>round drum magazines, evidently the Americans didn't
>use those. Why did the British use them and not the
>Americans?
>
>Joe

Tch, Tch, Joe,

even us furriners can recognise a Thompson 1928 A1 with a Cutts
compensator, horizontal foregrip, and 50 round drum magazine. Us Brits
bought a lot of thompsons at the start of hostilities, as the thompson was
the only thing in production, in fact we even got a bundle of the original
1921 model Colt-Thompsons. We didn't particularly like the 50 round drum
magazine but it worked and the 20 round was too small. Later in the war
(maybe D-Day onwards, pretty much everyone had M1A1 version with 30 round
stick mags, as seen in Saving Ryans Privates, but even the British Home
Guard / Civil Defense were issued 1928A1's and drum mags.

Gordon