Deuce front axle seal removal

From: Mark J. Blair (mblair1@cox.net)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 13:58:41 PDT

Hi, folks. I'm trying to replace the leaky front axle seals on one of
my M109A3 shop vans. This is the first time I've done this job. I went
back and read some archived MIL-VEH postings on the topic, as well as
the TMs, but I'm still having trouble. If I understand things
correctly, I should be able to fit an appropriate tool behind the axle
seal, and pull it and its retainer out. It appears to be pressed in
from the inside of the part that I'm assuming is the retainer; I can't
actually see the outer edge of the retainer, so it actually looks like
it's a machined part of the end of the axle housing. Am I on the right
track?

Anyway, I've been pounding away with a 2-pound slide hammer type pilot
bearing puller, and the part that I assume is a retainer (and not
actually part of the axle housing) hasn't budged. Does anybody have
any advice? In particular, does anybody have any advice that doesn't
involve buying a much more expensive hydraulic puller? :-)

Thanks in advance!

--
**** NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS ****
Mark J. Blair, KE6MYK <mblair1@cox.net>