Re: [MV] Need advice... tow yoke for sale

From: Carl Payne (cpayne@hemi.demi.net)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 11:58:36 PDT

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 jaxincalifornia@aol.com wrote:

Hello, Jack,

> Any suggestions... ? Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Well, your dolly idea isn't bad if you can't do anything else.

Did you ever buy that M.A.N.? If so, did you have trouble rolling it? If
not, I did mine, and what I had to do was kinda complicated...

Without a diagram to describe it, the brakes have these giant cans inboard
that push a rod that cranks the brakes open. On my M.A.N., the shoes were
rusted to the drums, so simply moving that rod didn't help. What I had to
do was manually crank the rod all the way in and add to that with a
cable-puller (come-along, bat-ratchet, whatever you wanna call it).

Cranking the rod in requires removing a key from the side of the can.
Each can should have its own key (redundancy and convenience, not that
they're unique). Insert the key into the can at the obvious point and
lefty loosie all the way up.

Once that's done, see if you can remove the backing plate from each drum.
If so, attach the batratchet to the shoe and the other end to the frame,
crank until it clicks open and detatch. Wheel SHOULD be free by now.
Repeat X wheels.

If your brakes aren't like this very much, my advice is something along
those lines. See if there's a way to MANUALLY open the brakes (not
hydraulically, but by means of a jackscrew or cam or something) and make
sure there's clearance between the brake shoes and the drum.

Take your dollies with you and don't spend more than 2 hours on my method
before getting Her home to safety to do the job properly.

> Also have 50 feet of high pressure hose, black rubber reinforced, about
> 1 inch inside diameter, about 3/8 thick wall.

Interested. E-me offline. I don't suppose that M.A.N. or its wheels are
for sale? :-)

Carl

e pluribus unix