Re: [MV] Welding

From: ygmir (ygmir@onemain.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 07:16:36 PDT

Hi all,
It's called "forge welding" and is a little more complicated, but not very.
For joining pieces of steel:
Metal is heated to yellow hot, just as it starts to spark, borax is applied
(other materials can be used, borax is just easy and cheap) to surfaces to
be joined and allowed to melt. This excludes oxygen from the surface of
metals to be joined. surfaces are then put together and hammered repeatedly.
this forces the borax out of the joint and allows the raw steel to mix on
the molecular level, without the presence of oxygen. It also aligns the
molecules and stretches the metal. done correctly, this is a preferred way
to join metals since it essentially makes them one piece of steel, and can
be done over a large area, as opposed to welding beads being laid.
The folded steel of edged weapons made this way is very strong. there are
many theories as to why, but all is not understood about the reasoning.
Ancient edged weapons made this way, with sometimes hundreds of folds, are
harder and 'tougher', than anything around now.
Hmmm, a little long winded, I guess. Sorry.
Henry ( frustrated blacksmith)