Re: [MV] M35A2 winch gear oil

From: Ken Boge (ken@clovermachine.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 14:04:56 PDT

The last jug of gear oil I bought (Sta-Lube Multi-Purpose Hypoid SAE 85W90
Gear Oil API/GL-4) says on the label:
- Contains anti-wear and extreme pressure properties
- Protects against oxidation, rust, corrosion and foaming
- Not corrosive to copper; bronze or other non-ferrous alloy bearings and
bushings

The shop manual for my friends '63 Chevy p/u says do not use gear oil with
EP additives in the transmission because of the corrosive effects on copper
and bronze.
I suspect that in the years hence, the formulations have changed so they are
no longer corrosive. But that is the reason some people will tell you not
to use EP gear oil in gear boxes with bronze or copper components. This is
probably outdated advice but who knows whats in there--check the label.

Also, I don't want to get hung up on semantics but a worm drive set consists
of a worm and a worm gear.
The worm is hardened steel and the worm gear is bronze like you say. I
didn't mean to imply they were both made from the same material.

Ken