Re: [MV] M35A2 winch gear oil

From: Chris Hass (cjhass@midusa.net)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 10:53:07 PDT

Neal,

    Many industrial lubricants meet the requirements for an AGMA (American
Gear Manufactures Assoc.) Non-EP gear oil. I have sold LUBRICANTS USA
products for many years and have been impressed with their quality and
performance. http://www.finalube.com

The product you are looking for is called EOLAN R&O. EOLAN R&O is a premium
quality rust and oxidation (R&O) inhibited petroleum mineral oil series
meeting AGMA Non-EP gear oil requirements. Viscosity-wise, Eolan R&O, ISO
220 is an AGMA 5 gear oil where as GL-5 (a quality standard) SAE 90 (80W-90)
automotive gear oil is classified as an AGMA 5 EP. in other words, Eolan
R&O is a gear oil, but it does not have extreme pressure additives.
http://www.finalube.com/reference_material/reference_manual/FINA_Eolan_RO.ht

CAVEAT EMPTOR:
Neal, I really don't recommend using a non-EP gear oil in any Right-Angle
Worm Drive. The pressures encountered at the contact points are enormous --
exactly the place that an EXTREME PRESSURE gear oil is designed for...
Sorry, but I question Dave's advice to avoid EP gear oil. Does He say Why
it turns to goo ????

Please call me if you need more info---
Chris Hass
Jones Oil Co.