'39 Ford Panel Update, Cont

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 22:50:51 PDT

I tend to ramble so I'm breaking this update up into pieces.
  My '40 War Dept Manual only alludes to a
"central Army vehicle registration records office" it doesn't contain
that info...
  Jim Gilmore shook my belief system to its roots when he pointed out
the flaw--no gloss brown (old Army) paint on the conversion portion of
the panel.
  However, he was right AND wrong.
  True, my truck began as a "type 7' vehicle
(ambulance, thanks again Mr. Vaughn) but was
converted by the military for a use I may never
know..The conversion WAS OD green...
  The converted ambulance (my guess) that Everette Doyle saw in Walnut
Ridge no doubt came from the same process?
  What process?
   Well, I happened to buy a '41 Ft. Warren Yearbook (QM Replacement
Center). The Training Center (TB=Trainee Built?) had huge numbers of
men that needed "projects" or something in the way of a trade-related
work to do.
  One "project" is shown in the yearbook. A '36 or so Chevy 1.5 ton
AMBULANCE is being converted for ???? A square hole (like my panel) is
shown cut out of the panel side...
  Looks like my truck is the result of an Army
program to recycle certain vehicles for re-use?
  My truck was just about obsolete for Army use from new...2wd, civilian
styling, etc.
 Don