Re: [MV] Omaha Beach revisited

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 21:08:02 PDT

In a message dated 5/1/02 10:12:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
rmgill@mindspring.com writes:

<< I think Omaha rates as being far more significant due to the sheer
 number of casualties that were lost on that small strip of beach.

Hmm, depending on sources on June 6, 1944 Omaha was site of 2400 to 3000
allied casualties......
and Omaha Beach is generally considered to be 7000 yds wide....

In contrast: Gettysburg
.....Pickett's men reached but failed to break the Union line, and the
magnificent effort ended in disaster. The tide of the Confederacy had "swept
to its crest, paused, and receded." In 50 minutes, 10,000 in the assault had
become casualties, and the attack - forever to be known as Pickett's Charge -
was now history.

The length of the attacking line as it prepared for the charge, (lines 1 + 2
+ 3) was 8,126 feet, or 2,708 yards, well over one mile (1,760 yards). The
length of the Federal Second Corps defensive position (line 19) was 3,000
feet, or 1,000 yards. The length of the Federal line defended by Harrows and
Hays divisions of the Second Corps, where the charge reached the wall (23 +
30), was 1,615 feet, or 538 yards. Thus the Confederate line at the point of
attack was reduced to just 20% of its original length.

While not downplaying the sacrifices of any of the men on any of these
battlefields, I thought it worthwhile to give some statistics on both tragic
sites.

MV content......what classic military vehicle was used at both Omaha Beach
and Gettysburg (and I am not referring to Gettysburg's use during WWI as a
tankers training area, or during WWII as a POW camp).

My .02,
David