Re: [MV] Omaha Beach revisited

From: Pete & Renee Davis (pandr@metrocast.net)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 18:18:40 PDT

Hello TJ,

That was pretty much my first reaction, too.

But then I thought about how it saddens me to hear the latest
development plans
for another US Civil War battlefield. It's hard to say exactly how big a
battle
needs to have been for its location to be a significant site; one worthy
of
remembrance. Washington DC has a cemetery containing the remains of
about 40
Union soldiers killed in attack on one of the city's defensive ring of
fortifications. Given the magnitude of the D Day battle, this site seems
to pale
into insignificance.

But I think this is the key distinction. A cemetery is indeed hallowed
ground.
While the battlefield itself may be historic, it is not truly sacred.
The fort
which was fought over outside of DC is long gone, but the burial place
of the
casualties remains. No pun intended. While developing Omaha Beach would
be
tragic, and offensive to many, it would not be as indecent as the
obliteration
of the cemeteries containing the remains of all who died on either side
in the D
Day campaign. That would be beyond the pale.

But the true, and possibly sad, fact is that France is a sovereign
nation and
will do as it sees fit. By all means anyone who feels compelled to
should do
everything they can to prevent the destruction of Omaha Beach. But
remember that
all those Allied soldiers who fought and died there did so to give the
French
the freedom to decide what to do with that stretch of sand.

I'll climb down off my soap box now.

Pete Davis