Re: [MV] Omaha Beach revisited

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 22:44:18 PDT

Dan makes an excellent point.

Folks... if Europeans blocked of every area where a significant battle
was fought, there would be no place for the Europeans to live, work, or
recreate. There is only so much one can ask. So long as they aren't
going to turn Omaha into an extension of Euro Disney, I say it is their
soil and their right to do with as they see fit. Hopefully they will
preserve its integrety, but if they do not... I won't hold it against them.

I have far more ill feelings towards the multi billion dollar
corporations in the US (and elsewhere, I am sure) which don't think twice
about tearing down historical structures and plowing under scenic vistas
to put their ugly box stores for 3-10 years until they decide to relocate
to the next town over or go out of business due to over expansion. In
one year I saw RiteAid (drug store chain still in Chapter 11 I think)
destroy 3 100+ year structures in three adjoining towns with populations
of 2000-4000 people. One of which was a brick building in perfectly good
condition. In an area with few historic structures left, and few
structures in general, these actions were particullarly noticable.

As a historian (I have a piece of paper that proves it!) I am always
saddened when something historical is pushed out for something new.
 Hopefully the French government will handle this matter gingerly.

Steve