Re: [MV] Magnetic Compass Indicates North To Vehicle Front InsideM35A2...

From: Renactr2@aol.com
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 06:15:00 PDT

Chuckle...

Of course!
I just remembered the WW2 photo that was one of those "staged for the camera"
prpaganda things, where several offercers were clustered around a map with
their compass out.......all lying on top of their jeep!

One would hope that they had taken their readings away from the vehicle and
had simply set the compass down in the photo for a prop, not that they had
shot their plot from the smooth, flat "tabletop" of the jeep hood.

I remember these bubble compasses in my grandfather's old Dodge in the 60's.
I had always thought they had an adjustment int hem to allow for the metal of
the car roof, etc. While in the Navy, we would periodically take the C-130
out to the compass rose and calibrate the wet compass.

If your bubble compass has an adjustment, that might be the thing to do in a
empty mall parking lot. Take some chalk and a known good compass and make
some marks. Then drive the vehicle to line up with the marks (which would
wash away and not bother the mall folks) and then adjust your compass to the
offset.
Of course the cheap one I had bought a few years ago didn't have an
adjustment....

Cheers,
Jim