Painting the white lettering on Commo gear

From: Tony Castagno (tonycastagno@verticalthought.com)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 05:52:17 PDT

Hello List,

I'm getting ready to paint some radio gear it has raised white
lettering... I've heard various stories about after painting it all
green smear the radio with petroleum jelly and then clean the raised
letters and paint the raised markings white... Could someone describe
this better? Like if someone has done this, could you describe it in
more detail or if you have a better way lets hear it. I know on the
light switch with raised lettering you can paint it and then lightly
sand the paint off with emory cloth, I didn't realize it until someone
pointed it out to me but I had a NOS light switch and always thought the
letters were painted but if you look closely its just the bare metal (at
least on mine which is NOS) But how about things like my RT 524 with
the recessed markings that are painted white, kind of the opposite of
the 1080 unit I was talking about earlier? What are the tips and tricks
from those who have been there before? Thanks for all your help.

Tony Castagno
Managing Partner
Enterprise Architect
Vertical Thought, LLC