Re: [MV] Polishing Gauge lenses

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 20:20:13 PDT

Tony,
This didn't get through the first time, so I'll try it again.
The red clay stains are from the finely divided metallic pigments in the clay. Dilute sulfamic acid will remove them. Products which contain this acid, and are safe for home use are CLR, Iron Out, and similar toilet cleaning products. It wouldn't cost much to try one. It worked well for me. let it soak a bit, then use a bristle scrub brush. It won't hurt your wheels either.
To polish the lenses, inquire at a small airport, as they use a fine abrasive polish to make the plane windows clear again, once they get fogged from abrasion. There is a similar product used on clear vinyl convertible top windows, which can be had at a good automotive parts shop that handles painting products. The stuff works equally well on hard plastic or glass. Glass takes a bit more elbow grease.
Cheers!
Jack