Re: [MV] M35A2 brake woes

From: Amnon (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 20:02:48 PDT

Break fluid gets VERY hot !!! As the shoes get hotter and hotter, the heat
transfers to the slave cylinder and from there the heat travels through the
line. The hot slave cylinder heats the fluid in it which cause the first
"sponginess", as the heat travels along the line connected to the cylinder
it heat the fluid more and more, which causes more and more sponginess. I
wonder if he uses dot5. I thought dot5 was suppose to protect against such
thing.

> Had a fellow call me for answers to his brake problem. He hauls
> 10,000 lbs. on steep grades. He uses engine compression to assist
> the brakes on long down hills, but the brake pedal eventually gets
> lower and lower so that it's only a couple of inches from the floor.
> At the same time the brakes get spongy. He said the brakes do
> get hot and after being on level ground a while, they return to normal.
> I try to answer the many questions people pose, but this is a new
> one on me. Could it be the DOT 5 Silicone fluid?
> Joe Young

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce